Off Topic: Governor General's Coat of Arms has a binary stream [was: OT-GG binary]

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 5 22:35:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Maureen Thornton <maureen-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Want the answer from the "horses mouth!"?
> Looking at the explanation of the symbolism on the website, there is the
> statement “The wavy band inscribed with zeros and ones represents a flow
> of information, digital communication and modern media.”
>
> We are surprised by the speculations that are appearing about the
> significance of the set of digits. However, there is nothing significant
> about the construction of the digits except to say that the symmetry of
> digits presents a better appearance.

Okay, as I thought quite possible at the start, the digits were picked
because they looked good, fair enough...

Still, the reaction of the geek community should really NOT surprise
these folks, drop any sort sort of a puzzle in front of many geeks and
they will attack it until they they have some sort of solution (years
ago when I got a Rubik's Cube, my solution was to figure out how to
disassemble the puzzle and then re-assemble it correctly, none of that
spinning sides around to get things right :-) ). So, a number coded
into a symbol and "what is this?" "how does it work?" are normal geek
reactions.

Colin.