anyone can suggest a good cheap router

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 4 07:06:03 UTC 2010

| From: Dave Germiquet <davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Canada Computers is down, can anyone suggest a good cheap router that'll run
| Tomato and OpenWRT?

The no-brainer, of course, is the WRT54GL.

You should be able to do a lot better.  It depends on what features
you consider valuable:

- easy to find locally

- well-worn path putting up your chosen firmware

- price

- 802.11n

- multiple bands (2.4G and 5G)

- gigabit ethernet

- USB ports

- lots of RAM and flash for extended firmware capability

- decent actual performance (not just great specs)

I think (but don't know) that this is a fairly reasonable mix of those
features for $55:
<http://www.bewawa.com/tp-link-ultimate-wireless-n-300mbps-gigabit-router-w-3-detachable-antennas-wr1043nd.html>
- Bewawa has free fast delivery within their version of the GTA
- I don't know how easy it is to install Tomato or OpenWRT
- the price is good for what you get
- 802.11n
- only one band
- gigabit ethernet
- USB port
- more RAM and flash than wrt54gl
- I don't know actual performance

You can spend two or three times as much and get a better router.
Since the money isn't really a lot in absolute terms, that might be a
good idea.

The most popular third party firmware is DD-WRT.  I prefer OpenWRT
because it is more open.  I don't hear that much about Tomato.

<http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database> says wr1043nd is
supported.  See <http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1523641>

<http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd>

I don't really know what this is about:
  <http://www.bewawa.com/rangemax-open-source-n-router.html>
The fact that it has "Open Source" in its name is interesting.