getting recent drivers/kernel with Debian

Daniel Wayne Armstrong daniel-HRJVlgn2G/y5aS82P/H3Zg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 4 00:31:51 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Dave Mason <dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have Debian 5.0.6 on Linux kernel 2.6.26-2-686.  I would like to get the
> newer drivers without moving to an unstable versoin
>
> Is there a way to do that easily?  (That being one of the main putative
> attractions of Debian after all.)

I recently needed the fixes and drivers of a more recent kernel
myself... This is how I compiled a kernel within my home directory the
'debian way' running all commands as a non-privileged user except for
Step 2 and Step 5.

Step 1: Download the most recent stable kernel source (currently
2.6.35.7) from kernel.org

Step 2: Install:

aptitude install build-essential fakeroot kernel-package libncurses5-dev

Step 3: Configure

Pull in the working config of the currently installed kernel and only
prompt for new config options...

 make oldconfig

If you want to make further config modifications...

make menuconfig

Step 4: Compile

 make-kpkg clean
 grep -c '^processor' /proc/cpuinfo    * get the number of CPUs for concurrency
 export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4
 fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version "-custom0" --revision
"2010.10.03" --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers

Step 5: Install

dpkg -i linux-image...deb     *confirm that the initrd is created and
grub updated
dpkg -i linux-headers...deb

I am currently running Debian unstable with a 2.6.35.7 kernel.

Hope this helps!

--
   ((@))
(\__/) -- Daniel