firefox grows, taking over all resources

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 1 13:11:23 UTC 2010

| From: William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>

| When you say, "non-responsive", do you see tabs displaying their current
| webpages, and can you move through them?
|
| On right-side end (where tabs would be), there is pull-down button (with
| triangle pointing downward).  What happens when you click that?

| >   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
| >  2502 hugh      20   0 9269m 4.6g   9m R 100.0 79.1 497:19.60 firefox

 2423 hugh      20   0 2561m 1.5g  27m S 86.0 26.1 243:10.44 firefox

This morning, Firefox is still responsive.  Even though it is eating a
lot of CPU and RAM, I still have 3 CPUs that it isn't eating (good
thing it isn't multithreaded) and resident set size is "only" 1.5G,
leaving more than 4G for the rest of us.

Perhaps this is because FF has only been running 7 hours.

So: I cannot run William's tests yet.