ups power supply

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 30 07:27:20 UTC 2010

On 10-11-29 05:13 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 04:28:23PM -0500, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>> $350 is well over 300% what I was planning on paying. It's a steep
>> price to pay, if the battery life is only a few years and my stuff is
>> not mission critical. It's more cheaper to buy a 2nd drive and simply
>> backup my data. My only concerns are a HD crash or data corruption.
>>
>> 3 min on a full load is not enough time to shut down a system properly
>> imho, 10 min sounds reasonable. From this discussion, I am thinking I
>> don't want to drop $100 for something that sucks as a UPS. Anything
>> higher I don't want to consider right now.
>
> Well that is pretty much why I haven't got one for the last machine in
> the house yet.
>
> Now it is unlikely you will be pulling full load (1000W), so the 10
> minute range is much more likely.
>
> I am not sure how wrong your machine setup has to be to make shutdown
> take 3 minutes.
>
> But as I said earlier, if your power supply has a switch to select the
> voltage, then there are lots of power supplies for less money you can buy.
> It's for machine with high efficiency power supplies that you need a
> good UPS.  And it is the electronics in the UPS you are paying for,
> not really the battery and hence runtime.

My system take less than 1 minute to shut down. If the shut-down happens
without my involvement, 3 minutes should be OK. If however I am away
from my Linux box and I need to initiate a shutdown, save stuff I am
working on, a 10 min window would be tolerable.

I read a few comments online (from buyers) that the battery goes pretty
fast as you stated, that's not comforting. Most of the other comments
seem to be from people who just purchased the UPS and pretty much it's
they typical omg it worked, I got it up and running in x minutes.
Comments like that are useless =)

I would love if someone actually pulled the plug on their UPS and
reported back what happens, etc. their setup. I read one person complain
about a APC UPS making a loud beeping noise every 30 sec and said do you
really need that when you're in a blackout and trying to sleep.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-22-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.1