sezing ICANN ???

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 29 22:34:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Colin McGregor wrote:
>>
>> In the case of the indexes they are not providing
>> counterfeit or otherwise improper material, just telling you where to
>> find such material.
>
> If they are knowingly sending people to those places for the purpose of
> selling counterfeit goods, then they are aiding criminal activity.  What
> would you think about someone wandering around telling people where they can
> get a real deal on a Rolex watch?

If a respected major newspaper does a story on crime in the city that
talks about:

- It is generally known that on any given evening you can find
prostitutes at the intersection of X St. and Y Ave..
- It is generally known that on any given evening you can find drug
dealers at the intersection of A St. and B Ave..
- The XYZ Store at 123 Alpha St.has been in trouble with law
enforcement for selling stolen goods.

would you have said newspaper shut down for helping people find
criminal activity? I hope the answer is NO. So long as the newspaper
or website announcing about the criminal activity are not making money
directly from the crime (ie: selling ad. space is not the same as
getting a percentage from each counterfeit item sold) I can live with
this. The issue here for me is one of freedom of speech, so long as
they are only talking about crime I'm okay with that.

Colin McGregor