sezing ICANN ???

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 29 19:22:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Would you be able to comment on this? Please?
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story/24074/US_Government_Censors_70_Websites

I have mixed feelings here...

Many of the sites grabbed were selling clearly counterfeit goods,
cheap knock-offs of very expensive handbags, watches, etc.. While I
think that someone would have to have more money than brains to pay
what some of those brand name product firms charge, I also think those
firms have a right to protect their brand names. So, I don't have an
issue with the grabbing of the counterfeit goods sales websites.

Where I do have an issue is with censoring the torrent indexing
websites. In the case of the indexes they are not providing
counterfeit or otherwise improper material, just telling you where to
find such material. Unless the US Government is also willing to go
after Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. because you can find out about various
sorts of criminal / terrorism tools and toys through them I see this
as being a little two faced...

Colin McGregor