ups power supply

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 29 17:35:24 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 02:01:03PM -0500, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> You do if you're specifying a UPS for a mission critical server. But
> otherwise, just go buy an APC unit that you can actually carry, plug it
> in, and marvel how your computer rides through glitches like never
> before. You'll also marvel how maddeningly beepy UPSs are when the
> power's out - it's not like you wouldn't know, what with the lights out
> and all.

I like APC (I have a number of them).  But if you need one for an active
PFC power supply, then you have to get a smart-ups.  None of the back-ups
models will work reliably.  That means a much higher price (but also a
much better UPS).

> My advice on UPS usage:
>
> * Advise all in your household that the temptingly open socket on the
> UPS shouldn't be used for the vacuum cleaner.

How is an outlet facing the wall on the back of a brick temptingly open?

> * The battery has a finite life; a couple of years or so. Amazingly, all
> the domestic UPSs I've had pegged out in a mess of beeping at 3:30am.
>
> * The tiniest APC unit uses a hard-to-find replacement battery. The next
> one (or so) up uses a standard 12V 7Ah gel cell that every emergency
> light or fire alarm seems to use, and can be replaced cheaply.
>
> * Using a laptop avoids all the above. Built-in UPS a go go!

Yep, not that the laptop keeps the internet up and running. :)

--
Len Sorensen