Tape Backup Prices

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 29 17:05:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:20:52AM -0500, Dave Germiquet wrote:
> I am looking to purchase a Tape Backup, and am unsure the prices and good
> providers with cost for value. The tape backup is for a small non-profit
> organization. I will be using Bacula for the Tape Backups so it would have
> to be supported.
>
> Any suggestions that people might have would be appreciated.

Well how much data needs backing up?

Tape drives tend to be not cheap at all.

Bacula will work with pretty much any tape linux supports as a /dev/nst*
or /dev/st*

External USB drives are much cheaper to backup to, but not as durable
as tape of course.

Remote rsync to another location is often the cheapest and best backup
method you can have, if you happen to have someone else you can swap
data with (I do it with my parents personally).  Means no one has to
remember to do the backups, they just happen at night.  And unless
someone remembers to bring the backup off site, it isn't a backup.

--
Len Sorensen