ups power supply

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 28 19:01:03 UTC 2010

On 10-11-28 13:31 , Kevin Cozens wrote:

> You also need to look at how a UPS provides AC power to the devices
> plugged in to it. The method used determines various operational factors

You do if you're specifying a UPS for a mission critical server. But
otherwise, just go buy an APC unit that you can actually carry, plug it
in, and marvel how your computer rides through glitches like never
before. You'll also marvel how maddeningly beepy UPSs are when the
power's out - it's not like you wouldn't know, what with the lights out
and all.

My advice on UPS usage:

* Advise all in your household that the temptingly open socket on the
UPS shouldn't be used for the vacuum cleaner.

* The battery has a finite life; a couple of years or so. Amazingly, all
the domestic UPSs I've had pegged out in a mess of beeping at 3:30am.

* The tiniest APC unit uses a hard-to-find replacement battery. The next
one (or so) up uses a standard 12V 7Ah gel cell that every emergency
light or fire alarm seems to use, and can be replaced cheaply.

* Using a laptop avoids all the above. Built-in UPS a go go!

 Stewart