PDA for Linux admin

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 26 20:32:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 12:34:10PM -0500, teddy mills wrote:
> I am not up to date on PDAs.
>
> I would like a PDA that has
>
> Basic phone services
> IMAP/Email
> SSH terminal client with functional keyboard
> Basic web browser
>
> Internet/Email/Web/Remote/SSH is far more important to me than any Phone
> service.
>
> If I have to compromise on the PDA,
> I think a netbook+WIMAX card would be best.
>
> Using a Kindle3/web browser/ShellinaBox may work,
> but keyboard would be difficult to use and I would have to find a
> wireless hotspot all the time.

My wife uses a Nokia E63 ($150 from newegg.ca on sale at the time,
today it is $170).

it does nice email and supports imap as far as I can tell.
The browser is rather nice, and opera and opera mini are also available for it.
Putty for symbian should work on it too (never tried).
The keyboard is very good on it.
It makes phone calls.

On rogers they treat it as a "smart phone", which means you need some data
plan to use it for any network access, so my wife has the 150MB/month
for $15 add on to our regular phone plan and so far hasn't managed to
use more than 20MB in a month.  I am sure they have much bigger data
plans for more serious users.

The gmail app runs nicely on it too of course.

This page claims ssh works on the E63 at least:
http://digitalpbk.com/e63-ssh/installing-putty-ssh-client-nokia-e63

--
Len Sorensen