PDA for Linux admin

Ijaaz A. Ullah ijaaz-UwkSZrAjFfdkDLQDXwjzI9BPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 26 19:15:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 12:55 PM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> teddy mills wrote:
>>
>> I would like a PDA that has
>>
>> Basic phone services
>> IMAP/Email
>> SSH terminal client with functional keyboard
>> Basic web browser
>>

>> Internet/Email/Web/Remote/SSH is far more important to me than any Phone
>> service.
>>
>> If I have to compromise on the PDA,
>> I think a netbook+WIMAX card would be best.
>>
>> Using a Kindle3/web browser/ShellinaBox may work,
>> but keyboard would be difficult to use and I would have to find a wireless
>> hotspot all the time.
>
> An Android phone running v.2.2 or later should do what you want.  With 2.2,
> you get WiFi & USB tethering, which will allow you to connect other devices
> to the internet via 3G.  I have a Google Nexus One, which works well.

Android is the way to go.  Any newish Android phone would work
wonders.  I have an HTC Desire from Telus and I've used it to push
releases to our production environment via ssh.

The HTC Sense email application is better than the stock Android with
regards to Exchange support.  I have full access to my calendars and
company directory.  (Exchange support is limited in stock Android,
hopefully 2.3 will address that)