ups power supply

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 26 18:48:22 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 02:16:42AM -0500, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> I am considering purchasing a ups power supply, I have 2 box with 2
> monitors, once it CRT, the other is a LCD. I want to spend at most $100,
> and really need it to protect my system from sudden power loss. I just
> need enough time to be able to shut down the system properly, 20 min max
> running off battery.
>
> Is anyone here using a UPS, do you have any suggestions?

Do your machines have power supplies with active power factor correction?

If they do, then many require sine wave input to function properly,
and may turn off or fail (or make loud buzzing sounds from the power
supply) if they are fed stepped sine wave simulation instead of a proper
sine wave.  How affected they are various by design.

A UPS with proper sine wave (rather than a simulated sine wave) are
no where near $100.  This is why I still haven't got one for my wife's
machine.  I wish Dell would have a $200 sale on the APC SU1500 again,
like they used to often have, but they no longer seem to do that.
$600 for one is a bit out of my current budget.  I have found one that
would work for $300-$400 range but I haven't bought one yet (still hoping
for that sale thing to happen again some day).

Running two computers and two screens would probably require a 1000 to
1500VA range UPS depending on the power requirements of the two computers.
You aren't likely to get more than 10 to 15 minutes run time either
with a load like that unless you buy something very big and expensive
(which probably requires more than a 15A outlet then).

--
Len Sorensen