Making disc images

Fri Nov 26 16:37:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 12:09:30PM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>I have to set up ten Acer netbooks, with Windows XP (sorry) and software
>and correct configuration, and I hoped that rather than setting up each
>machine manually I could configure one the way I like it and then clone
>the disk on the other machines.
>
>Has anyone got a tutorial and a set of software that they would
>recommend for this purpose?  Thanks.

I looked at all the solutions suggested - thanks - and went with
clonezilla.  I used the unetbootin tool to create a clonezilla (which
uses partimage) bootable USB stick, and was able to make a clone of my
example machine relatively painlessly - reading and writing to and from
an NTFS-formatted USB drive without difficulties.  I am impressed and
pleased.

Just running the install and updates on the example machine took several
hours, not including cruft removal and software installation, but
restoring the image to a new machine tool less than half an hour.

Thanks again!
--

yours,

William