Moving an HD from one comp to another

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 25 18:27:23 UTC 2010

>> USB is slow and very cpu intensive compared to pretty much any other
>> interface you could connect a disk to.
>>
>> firewire, SATA, UDMA IDE, etc all have DMA to offload the cpU.
>>
>> Given netbooks usually use atom CPUs, you don't have much cpu available
>> to begin with.  Also 1.8" disks are generally rather slow compared to
>> bigger disks.  Also the SSD has the advantage of no access time to worry
>> about, while a 1.8" disk will have a rather long access time because of
>> the low rotation speed.
>
> I've always known that USB caused very high CPU loads.  Now I know why
> - thanks.  As I said - it's slow, but tolerable so I'll probably
> continue to use it.  It's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

Was very grateful to learn this when it was posted a while back.
Explained why whenever I am offloading some data from the server to an
USB drive, it always tend to trigger high load nagios alert.  Its even
odd that USB 2 using polling instead on interrupts

That said, it looks like they have fixed both the lack of DMA and
interrupts  with USB 3.  I have just scanned through USB 3
specification and I wonder if I got this fact right

William