Debian Testing Upgrade Problem (amd64)

Mon Nov 22 19:59:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:34:21PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 09:11:26AM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>> If you are running Debian testing on a 64-bit architecture with Flash,
>> you may run into a conflict in a upgrade to ia32-libs, pushed last
>> night.
>>
>> This updated package conflicts with ia32-libs-workaround-499043, which
>> some may have installed to get Flash working.  If this is you, here is
>> how I resolved the issue last night:
>>
>> apt-get dist-upgrade
>> FUBAR!
>> .. much research and hunting for solutions
>>
>> dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/ia32-libs_20101117_amd64.deb
>> apt-get -f install
>>
>> Works!
>>
>> I apologize for the long line - most of you will be using mailreaders
>> which gracefully accept my indiscretion, and hopefully not having a line
>> break will help out some user, somewhere.
>
>Congratulations on messing up your system.
>
>Don't use --force ever.
>
>The correct answer is: dpkg -r ia32-libs-workaround-499043, which is no
>longer needed.

The "correct" answer doesn't work.  Removing the now-unneeded package
does not unwedge the system.  The actual correct answer is for the
testers in experimental and unstable to report the conflict and set the
rules to sort it out - they didn't and now someone has to report a
method which works.

The other correct answer is to live in a work without Flash - but the
web is not yet in that world.  As soon as I can use the video sites
without Flash, I will uninstall it.
--

yours,

William