Open Media?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 21 14:48:31 UTC 2010

Jason Carson wrote:
> I guess I would have to see what the rates are before I support that
> business model. The big downloads I have are Linux ISO's and game updates.
> Both of which don't happen all that often but I wouldn't want to be hit
> with a big bill for downloading them.

Currently we have a very crude form of UBB.  I'm on Rogers and have a 90
GB cap, with overage charges.  It's 6 GB on my smart phone plan.
However, the overage charges are punitive.  It'd be better is customers
had a choice of plans and then be charged enough on going over that if
they do it frequently, they'd go for the next plan.  Flat rates can
encourage abuse.  We saw that with dial up access and now with
broadband.  One example I read about was in Wellington NZ, where ethenet
access is sold as a utility, where you pay for the desired bandwidth,
and then arrange for whatever ISP you wish.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8073?page=0,0

BTW, I have never gone over my cap on either cable or smartphone.