Are you running Linux as your desktop?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 19 17:20:07 UTC 2010

| From: D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| Linux fans (like me) don't always add up the time we spend to do
| things the better way.

Example from last night:

I wanted to put a newer release on a notebook.

I chose Ubuntu 10.04 LTS because I don't want to be constantly doing
this.

No matter what I tried (selecting nomodeset etc.) the live CD would
present me a blank screen well into booting (perhaps at the end). Probably
an Intel X driver bug. This wasted perhaps an hour.

So I switched to Ubuntu 10.10.  This worked better.  But when I tried
to run gparted, it would abort.  To add to the annoyance, the error
reporting automation would get most of the way through and then balk.
Anyway, I found an apparently matching error report, including a
provisional update to gparted (not yet in the repos), installed it (on
the live instance!) and was away.  This wasted perhaps another hour or
two.

The bug gparted report is
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gparted/+bug/617885>
Message 68 points at a .deb that worked for me.  So you can see it
took a lot of reading to get to a solution (not to mention the time
it took to decide that was a solution).  Also: look at all the bug
reports that are linked as duplicates (26 of them!).  Apparently this
bug was introduced by Debian, not Ubuntu, not the gparted project.