Why Trac Rocks (was draw a pretty timeline graphic w/ text?)

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 13 14:11:05 UTC 2010

On 11/04/2010 02:19 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 12:56 PM, CLIFFORD ILKAY
> <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>> The Graphviz plug-in for Trac enabled me to create diagrams that could be
>> viewed right in the wiki without having to download an attachment. I could
>> have done that by exporting a Kivio diagram to PNG too, but the advantage of
>> the Graphviz plug-in is that I can have hyperlinks in the various symbols to
>> other diagrams, Trac tickets, Trac wiki pages, changesets, any web site, in
>> short, anything that has a URL.
>
> That's rather cool!  It doesn't *quite* press me to look into Trac,

I just made extensive modifications to the Trac ticket workflow to more
closely model the way that we actually work with our clients. Trac ships
with a script that will generate a PDF from the ticket workflow
expresses in trac.ini. It failed with "cannot find kpdf" on the server
on which I ran it but I noticed that it had generated a .dot file, which
from my recent experience with Graphviz, I thought was something I could
use. Sure enough, there was a complete digraph expressing the workflow
which I copied/pasted into a Trac wiki page that I created to document
the ticket workflow. It took five minutes all told to document the
changes I had made and that included fixing an error that I only noticed
when I examined the resultant graph.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay