How to win friends

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 11 21:43:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 10:55 AM,  <phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Me: Your web page crashed when I was trying to order parts.
>
> Future Electronic Support Person: What were you doing when it crashed?
>
> M: Well, the first time, I entered a purchase order number with a dash in it.
>
> F: You can't do that.
>
> M: Shouldn't you fix your web page so that you *can* do that? Or warn the
> customers that they can't do that?
>
> F: I will report your problem to our IT department.
>
> M: Do you have some sort of system that catches these crashes and
> automatically reports them to the software people?
>
> F: No, We prefer our customers to report problems to us. What happended on
> the second crash?
>
> M: I have no idea. I had just completed the address information and
> selected checkout. The screen filled with technical error messages. I hit
> the back button and my information was erased. I don't have these problems
> on the web pages of other companies.
>
> F: Well, all company web pages have their quirks..
>
> M: I don't have these problems on the Digikey, Avnet, Mouser or Newark
> order pages. Can I please speak to a human being who can take my order?
>
> F: I will refer you to a sales agent. However, you should be warned that
> some of the prices may be higher, and minimum quantity requirements may be
> higher.

> Doesn't that conversation give you the warm fuzzies? Don't you really want
> to deal with them again?
>
> I thought so.
>

> --
> Peter Hiscocks
> Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
> http://www.syscompdesign.com
> USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
> 647-839-0325

imho opportunity lost for them, they could have given you a small
discount, apologised for the inconvenience, thanked you for your time
to call.

that one act alone would have won you over, instilled trusts and in
spilt of their crappy website you might have provided a lead through
word of mouth

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-22-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.1