Cognitive Dissonance and Linux

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 11 02:22:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Matt Price <moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I seem to remember you have high-end machines and I bet it can be
>> repaired.  Perhaps a new optical drive.
>
> um, not if there are blown caps.  that's a motherboard problem...
> matt

A dead motherboard isn't the worst thing in the world...   $100 gets
you a pretty decent mobo, and likely a lot of the other components
*aren't* blown out.

I had much the same happen to me many moons ago (1997, I believe),
where caps blew out on a motherboard.  I had to replace mobo+CPU, but
the other components all served fine for several years afterwards.