Atom 330 drives only enough pins for 32-bit physical addresses

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 8 21:14:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 03:45:53PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
>
> | There is no such thing as formatted versus unformatted capacity.
>
> There used to be, in the days of MFM.  Most recent manifestation:
> floppy disks.

True, but it has nothing to do with modern hard sectored hard disks.

Yet some people keep using that excuse to explain a simple difference
in units.

> Perhaps this comes up when the controller is sold separately from the
> medium.  Since hard disks have been sold with integrated SCSI or IDE
> controllers, this problem has not appeared.
>
> Of course "formatted" has a couple of meanings.  For most users, the
> filesystem overhead could be called the difference between formatted
> and unformatted capactity.  I would not do so.

Back when you bought 2MB floppies and got a formatted capacity of 1440KB
(unless you just a non standard formatting), then there was such a thing.
It did not apply to harddisks other than a few odd ones early on.

--
Len Sorensen