WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 8 19:18:09 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 12:58:39AM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>
>
> Thanks for the posting.
>
> I bought one of these a while back to use as a front end for myth and
> to hack.  But I've done neither :-(
>
> The WD sees my Myth server (via UPnP).  It sees the recorded files.
> It will not play them because it doesn't recognize the format.
> Really?  MPEG-2 would seem easy.  But the diagnostic says nothing
> useful and neither does the manual.
>
> As for hacking: it's never gotten to the top of my stack of projects.
>
> Have you built firmware from source?  Is that possible?

I have not tried yet, but there is a VMware image floating around:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/wdtvtools/wiki

I am not sure if building a new kernel is feasible, it sounds like
Western Digital *might* be signing kernel images. However, building
modules will work according to that page.

Apart from that, one feature I want to experiment with is ext3 boot,
which will allow for easy installing/editing of firmwares, without
having to do a complete reflash cycle for every change.

Lots more info available on official and unofficial firmware on the
forum at http://www.wdtvforum.com/main

Jamon