kernel panic after fresh install

Ijaaz A. Ullah ijaaz-UwkSZrAjFfdkDLQDXwjzI9BPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 7 01:16:24 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 10-11-06 07:57 PM, Amanda Yilmaz wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 12:37 -0400, "Rajinder Yadav"<devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Guys I am having a problem after a fresh installed of Xubuntu 10.10 on
>>> my old server. I get a kernel panic, the 1st line of the message says:
>>>
>>> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>>> unknown-block(0,0)
>>>
>>> Here is a copy of the boot info script output, can someone tell me how I
>>> might be able to get my system to bootup? I am able to boot into my
>>> system and mount my root / filesystem.
>>
>> This may be going out on a limb, but just how old is your server? In
>> particular, what kind of processor does it have? Maverick is the first
>> *ubuntu to require a P6-class processor; P5-class machines such as the
>> Pentium MMX, AMD K6 series, Cyrix MII, etc. need not apply.
>>
>> What is the output of /proc/cpuinfo?
>>
>> Amanda
>
> I am in the lost process of building the kernel. But I know the CPU is AMD
> Athlon 1000+, I can install Debian 5.0 just fine.
>
> I installed Xubuntu on my laptop in VMWare and I really like the simple
> clean feel, so I thought it would be good to throw it on my old box that I
> am using as a test server.
>
> Also I can boot off the (alternative) install CD I am using, drop into
> console mode after I mount my / root filesystem. So if that kernel image
> works for me, what the heck is going wrong? I can't figure this out. I've
> tried google and nothing really helpful about
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)

It sounds like your grub line is wrong..  What does grub.cfg show?  it
sounds like the root entry is wrong.

boot off of the live cd, mount your root partition (mount /boot if needed)
run:

grub-install --root-directory=<where you mounted the drive> /dev/sdX

where X is the drive

i.e. grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

unmount the partition(s) and try to boot from the drive.