kernel panic after fresh install

Amanda Yilmaz ayilmaz-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 6 23:57:10 UTC 2010

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 12:37 -0400, "Rajinder Yadav" <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
wrote:
> Guys I am having a problem after a fresh installed of Xubuntu 10.10 on
> my old server. I get a kernel panic, the 1st line of the message says:
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)
>
> Here is a copy of the boot info script output, can someone tell me how I
> might be able to get my system to bootup? I am able to boot into my
> system and mount my root / filesystem.

This may be going out on a limb, but just how old is your server? In
particular, what kind of processor does it have? Maverick is the first
*ubuntu to require a P6-class processor; P5-class machines such as the
Pentium MMX, AMD K6 series, Cyrix MII, etc. need not apply.

What is the output of /proc/cpuinfo?

Amanda