draw a pretty timeline graphic w/ text?

Scott Allen mlxxxp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 5 16:19:09 UTC 2010

On 5 November 2010 08:55, William O'Higgins Witteman
<william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
(Re: using Asymptote to create the requested timeline)
> I think you'll find that this tool is close, but doesn't quite get
> there.

Why not? It didn't take me long to learn Asymptote enough to produce
something similar to my ImageMagick example (this time using a
function to draw each stage at the proper position). I'm sure it could
be improved with a little more experience.

timeline.asy:
----------
int org=10;
int h=100;
int length=400;
draw((org,h)--(length,h));

void drawstage(int x, int slen, string ltext) {
  int sstart=org+x;
  pair spr=(sstart, h);
  path spath=(spr--(sstart+slen, h-slen));

  filldraw(circle(spr, 3));
  draw(spath);
  label(rotate(-45)*ltext, spath, align=ENE);
};

drawstage(0, 52, "Inception");
drawstage(60, 50, "Research");
drawstage(200, 65, "Presentation");