key mapping

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 5 02:07:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 02:20:02AM -0400, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>> That's exactly what I had to do, in my previous reply I posted a link on
>> a howto I found. It works both on Xubuntu and Kubuntu, I don't know why
>> the Ubuntu installer seems to map the right ALT key to something stupid?
>>
>> I bought a bluetooth keyboard, it has a FN key that I want to map to
>> something else, and move the FN key to the otherside. However when I run
>> xev and press the key nothing is being detected.
>>
>> The keyboard I am using with my laptop running Xubuntu in VMware over Win7.
>>
>> Is there any other raw way to read key press and do key mapping?
>
> Look at dumpkeys, loadkeys, showkey, getkeycodes, and setkeycodes.
>
> Most likely the kernel doesn't generate a keycode for that key.  Of course
> it could also be a hardcoded feature of the keyboard and hence not even
> accessible to software as a normal key.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen
> --

the FN special key is not getting read, however i have a workaround
but not sure how to do the following. I want to map a key combination

[win]+pageup -> home
[win]+pagedown -> end

i know the keycode, but how to i combine 2 keycodes and produce a
translated keycode ?

thanks

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-22-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.1