draw a pretty timeline graphic w/ text?

Thu Nov 4 13:37:14 UTC 2010

I would second the recommendations for dia and graphviz.  I use dia
whenever I need a 1-off diagram, and I use graphviz when I need
something that is either going to have frequent textual changes, or will
be reused with small changes a lot, or something that can be programmed.

For your purposes, take a look at the dot tool in the graphviz package.

PS.  By the way, if you like the flex of dia but occasionally need
programmability, the dia file format is an XML structure that looks
amenable to programmatic tweaking.
--

yours,

William