draw a pretty timeline graphic w/ text?

Matt Price moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 4 10:55:12 UTC 2010

Hi eveyone,

I'm trying to do something that seems really simple to me but i still don't
know how to do.  I want to draw a timeline that represents the stages of a
research project (inception, research, presentation, writing, submission,
publication...)  and I would like it to look something like this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\                             \
 \                             \
  inception                research

only I want it to be pretty, say with little circular nodes connecting the
digonal lines to the main horizontl lines, and with the text aligned
diagonally along the lines.  Shouldn't this be easy to do, either in
Openoffice (ick) or with another tool?  in fact shouldn't i be able to
generate this automatically from a set of terms, say, in a spreadsheet?

and yet I haven't been able to do it.  I will resort to gimp if i have to
but for me that means hours of fiddling with the arcane interface...

Thanks as always for your help!
Matt