key mapping

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 4 06:20:02 UTC 2010

On 10-11-03 05:17 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 03:13:33PM -0400, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>> ok i sort of figured it out, if I type the following in xtem, the mapping works
>>
>> xmodmap -e "keycode 108 = Alt_R"
>>
>> where do i put this so it will work after login?  i tried using
>> ~/.xmodmap and ~/.xmodmaprc with the following entry
>>
>> !keycode  108 = Alt_R
>>
>> however after a reboot, it does nothing.
>
> Well it depends if your desktop manager/window manager/desktop environment
> loads it.  Otherwise you may have to create a .xsession file to run the
> xmodmap command with the script.
>
> I think gnome and kde might have their own interfaces for doing the same
> kind of xmodmap config work, which you could use instead.

That's exactly what I had to do, in my previous reply I posted a link on
a howto I found. It works both on Xubuntu and Kubuntu, I don't know why
the Ubuntu installer seems to map the right ALT key to something stupid?

I bought a bluetooth keyboard, it has a FN key that I want to map to
something else, and move the FN key to the otherside. However when I run
xev and press the key nothing is being detected.

The keyboard I am using with my laptop running Xubuntu in VMware over Win7.

Is there any other raw way to read key press and do key mapping?

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-22-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.1