key mapping

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 3 17:39:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 01:22:49PM -0400, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>> How do I remap keys under X (on my keyboard), there is a way to view
>> the keycode, i forget what that app is called, and where best to remap
>> the keys so my change takes when i log in?
>>
>> i tried google and can't find a how to,
>
> man xmodmap
>
> Applications work based on KEYSYMNAMEs and the keyboard generates
> keycodes.  xmodmap sets up the mapping from keycodes to keysyms.
>
> xev is handy to determine the keycode of a given key and what it currently
> generates as a keysym.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

i kept coming across xmodmap, but no one was saying anything about xev
=) that's helps thanks!

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-22-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.1