encrypted code

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 2 14:03:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 06:43:17PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> From top of my head, do what nVidia binary driver or Java install script
> do.
>     1. Append encrypted program at the end of shell script or embed in C
>     program.
>     2. At run time, write it to a file, get key from remote server,
>     decrypt it, and run it.

Which leaves a decrypted file on the disk, which pretty much defeats the
purpose of encrypting it I suspect.  It really depends WHY the encryption
is considered necesary.

Certainly neither java nor nvidia do encryption, they just have a shell
script with a shell archive appended or something similar.

Getting the encrypted binary and a wrapper delivered is the trivial bit.
Actually doing the decryption and running without leaving secret bits
lying around is the hard bit.

--
Len Sorensen