Q: Why do programmers always get Christmas and Halloween mixed up?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 2 02:20:45 UTC 2010

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> The only place I ever use octal seems to be umask settings.

Years ago, I used octal a lot on my IMSAI 8080.  The instruction set
worked out better in octal than hex.  I also used it a lot when I was
working on Data General computers, but hex on DEC gear.  Back in those
days, I could do hex and octal arithmetic in my head and sometimes
mentally shifted from decimal to octal or hex to make a calculation
easier.  ;-)