Photo Management - F-Spot or Alternative

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 1 21:13:23 UTC 2010

> Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 14:02:48 -0400
> From: clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Photo Management - F-Spot or Alternative
>
> On 11/01/2010 12:03 PM, john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> > I'm left with looking for alternatives. Is anyone using a program that does the
> > above well?
>
> Digikam can sort any number of ways, do fuzzy searches, find duplicates,
> etc. I quite like it. We've used it in unusual ways for web development,
> too. One of our clients needed to get thousands of product photos
> categorized and into a product catalogue that we were building for him.
> We had FreeNX running on a server and gave him access to a machine with
> Digikam so that he could tag the photos in various ways. Once he was
> finished, it was a matter of accessing the sqlite db in which Digikam
> stored the data and creating the data in the format we needed for the
> on-line catalogue.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Clifford Ilkay

Looking at all of the mentioned programs, it looks like Picasa will do what I need. It would have been nice if the Linux client had kept up with the latest versions released, but it's quite behind the windows version (3.0 vs 3.8).

I went through the digikam manual and couldn't quite tell whether it does what I'm looking for. From what you say, it probably does. It's quite the program by the looks of it.

Shotwell seems to be at par with F-Spot. Too bad, but it doesn't do what I'm looking for. kphotoalbum also seems to fall short.

Now I just have to decide between Picasa and digikam.

Thanks to all who replied. As an added benefit, while I was looking through google for manuals for the suggested apps, I bumped into a couple of programs to make videos out of photos, which I really want (PhotoFilmStrip and Imagination). So I spent most of the afternoon downloading and experimenting with these. What fun... Except a lot of stuff I should have been doing got pushed to tomorrow. If anyone is using the above two, let me know what you think.

John.