Photo Management - F-Spot or Alternative

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 1 16:03:31 UTC 2010

I've been using F-Spot for a while now, mainly to import pictures from the camera. I like the way it stores them into date directories.

Now I am organizing my photos using the tags facility it provides. But the capabilities are a bit limiting. A key component missing is the ability to display photos in albums sorted any way I want. I can make up albums simply by making use of the tags in certain ways, but it has very little flexibility in the way the photos are displayed other than the default (chronological by date stamp) or in reverse. There are suppose to be options to sort by file size, which my F-Spot doesn't have, but that isn't the same as displaying in any desired order.

The F-Spot manual doesn't have a way to do this and I couldn't find a solution through Google, which means there probably isn't one. I'm left with looking for alternatives. Is anyone using a program that does the above well? Picasa Web gallery caught my eye, not sure it's the right tool though. I would still use F-Spot, but albums maybe could be uploaded to Picasa web. Before I get a google account to try it out, it would be great to get some opinions.

Thanks,

John.