Ubuntu 10.04 screen resolutions

Fabio FZero fabio.fzero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 31 14:14:26 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 22:35, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Without spending *any* time investigating, I assume that the problem
> is due to Kernel Mode Setting.

Yes it is.

> You can often fix this problem with a "nokms" kernel parameter.  I
> have heard that nokms support may be on the way out.

Actually, it was the other way around. I had to *explicitly* tell the
kernel to use KMS. Even so, it didn't work right. Ubuntu couldn't
start X on login. In fact it was worse than that: the graphics came up
for the splash, but then dropped out just when X was starting. The
funny thing is that starting X manually worked. Go figure.

I just got tired of this and some other (IMHO) bad design decisions
and went back to Debian.

- FZ