Ubuntu 10.04 screen resolutions

marthter marthter-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun May 30 20:55:21 UTC 2010

Arg.  Why oh why must everything keep getting "improved" until it is broken?

On a new Ubuntu 10.04 install... trying to troubleshoot a problem of
auto-detected resolutions not including half of the desired resolutions
which I know the hardware supports.

Unfortunately after a full day of googling and experimenting most of the
forums posts seem to be either outdated or moronic
blind-leading-the-blind wrong answers.  The ones that are almost-there
on what I think has (usually, lately) been the right way of doing it do
not quite get around my problem.

Does anyone have good suggestions of intelligent Ubuntu forums to post
something like this in? or would it be too off topic to post such a
question here?  (I suppose an intelligent Ubuntu forum would be called a
Debian newsgroup right?  oh zing!)

Cheers.

Martin