OT: Portable GPS Devices, Is There Such Thing?

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 30 15:59:47 UTC 2010

On 5/30/10, Michael Lauzon <mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 09:19, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Yes, there are a number out there. Among the OpenStreet Map folks, at
>> least in North America, Garmin seems to be the most popular brand.
>> Most of the Garmin models look like fat PDAs that you can carry easily
>> in one hand. Also, all but the most basic models can used to collect
>> track data for OpenStreet Map (hint, hint :-) ). Some GPS reviiews can
>> be seen here:
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Reviews
>>
>> Colin McGregor
>

> You know as well as I do, that OSM by me is not going to happen, I
> don't drive a car, I have a bike and only use it in the summer, and I
> try and avoid hills as I am grossly overweight for someone my height
> and very out of shape.

OSM is looking for ALL sorts of geographic data, so even overwight out
of shape can contribute data. Adding tech shops is usefull, paths
through parks, as is where are good (or not so good) food shops, etc.
is all good stuff for OSM. So, your being overweight not driving a car
is not a real issue.

Colin McGregor