DDR RAM more expensive than DDR2 RAM?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 28 01:39:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 8:27 PM, E K <ekg_ab-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I went to Spadina and College area looking for a RAM to upgrade an old laptop. To my surprise, I found out that the older and slower DDR module is way more expensive than the newer and better DDR2.
>
> The guys explained the pricing in terms of demand and supply. However, I had expected the demand for memory upgrade to be highly elastic which means higher price will discourage people from upgrading (specially in the light of getting a new one for at such cheap price and the complication of upgrading) and reduce the demand which in turn increases enviromental waste.

Part of the problem is not quite visible...

For the older RAM, it's likely that nobody is manufacturing it
anymore, which would have the result that there's no NEW supply to be
had, and tend to cause the price to rise, over time.

That's certainly observed with components used in military-like
systems, where the suppliers frequently do some extra production runs
before shutting down production because they have contracts to
continue to provide the components.  And once systems get into the
"using new-old stock," the cost of maintaining the system tends to
head up the "U" towards punitive levels.

Your laptop's not being used to operate fire control systems, so the
prices you see on Spadina aren't *that* high :-).