[OT] Why do so few people understand aspect ratios?

David J Patrick djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
Thu May 27 17:59:31 UTC 2010

On 10-05-27 01:30 PM, Thomas Milne wrote:
> I am not confused at all.
>
> What I meant was: if the original is in a _standard aspect_, there is
> no _good_ reason to add the black bars, because any TV or display
> built by a non-clueless person will display the picture properly, ie
> the _display_ will show 'black bars' where there is _no image_.
when you say "standard" do you mean 4:3, 16:9 or 1:1.85, because they're
all standards and all in common use.

> I am talking about people deliberately adding black bars to the video
> during encoding, not the fact that the display might show black where
> there is no image.
that IS stupid
  Of course that is normal, I'm not an f'n idiot.
ok, just checking ;)

To demonstrate how stupid even "technical" people can be, I did a job as
cinematographer for a Telus internal corporate video, we shot it in 16:9
to be displayed on big 16:9 monitors.

The job went swell and everything looked great, but the next job, when I
went back to corporate headquarters, I saw the video playing and almost
shit myself; they had, in a later post stage, squashed the 16:9 to 4:3
(making everyone stretched and distorted) and then added black bars to
THE SIDES TO make it 16:9.. total debauchery !
So if the big-brained Telus video team were such f'n idjits.. it's
pervasive stupidity.
djp