[OT] Why do so few people understand aspect ratios?

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Thu May 27 00:34:36 UTC 2010

I don't know if anyone on here does any video encoding, but can anyone
tell me why it is that so many people insist on adding the black bars
to their videos? It's amazing how many people I run into who cannot
seem to grasp the difference between 4:3, 16:9 and panoramic. They
think if a movie is widescreen, ie. 16:9, they need to add the black
bars to 'pad' the video...why?

Are their TV's wrong? Their computer displays? I've had all kinds of
TV's, old CRT and flat screen, I've never, ever, needed to mess with
video to make it display properly. Ever.

--
TBM