Support your Linux distro... please buy your DVD/CD!

Fabio FZero fabio.fzero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 26 04:16:29 UTC 2010

Well, most of them don't sell CDs/DVDs anymore. In fact even the music
industry is moving away from that. The film industry will soon follow
suit. My point is: donations are fine (and necessary), but buying
CDs/DVDs is these days of cheap(-ish) broadband is pointless, isn't
it?

Some distros have proper business models, be it enterprise versions
(RHEL... which by the way I think it's ridiculously overrated),
selling technical support and consulting (SUSE, Mandriva & some
others) or value-added services (Ubuntu One, Canonical Landscape and
so on).

Other distros rely on donations, and I agree that they are an
important piece of the puzzle, but CDs? Seriously? Who cares for this
old, non-biodegradable, last-century technology?

- FZ