Dlink DIR-825 wireless router one-day sale $119.99

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 25 15:30:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 10:56:04AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>>>
>>> Does the guest mode have it's own SSID?
>>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Mine are currently: wifi5, wifi24 and wifi24ds.
>>

> Why the different SSIDs for the 2 bands?  When I've set up dual band
> access points, I've always used the same SSID to make things easier for
> the users.  When I've configured multiple SSIDs, they connected to
> different VLANs.

Because using one is a @#$#@$@# pain in the ass.  It is hard to control
which band you connect to from the client if the SSID is the same.  I want
the 5GHz connection, even if the 2.4GHz has a better signal strength.
Signal strength doesn't matter, the 5GHz is way faster and more reliable.
Screw signal strength.

Anyone assigning one SSID for both is clueless.

So you are completely wrong.  Using one SSID makes it harder for the user.

--
Len Sorensen