Tools for processing "template"?

Fabio FZero fabio.fzero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 22 01:30:42 UTC 2010

There's more then one way to do it!

1. You could use PHP from the command-line. Yep, you can write PHP
scripts as you would with Perl, Python or Ruby. Just start the script
with...

#!/usr/bin/php -q

...and write al your code between <?php and ?>. The command-line
arguments will be in $_SERVER['argv']. From then on you can use
explode() and implode() (or regexes) to make the substitutions.

2. Perl, of course.

3. You can use many of the classes and gems available for Ruby to deal
with this. Everything you can use for the web (ERB seems perfect for
your case) is available to use anywhere else. Ruby's string methods
are *at least* as good as Perl's.

About ERB:
http://www.ensta.fr/~diam/ruby/online/ruby-doc-stdlib/libdoc/erb/rdoc/index.html

4. That stands true for Python too, but can be little bit more
long-winded if you want t use regular expressions. On the other hand,
the string.Formatter is awesome

http://docs.python.org/library/string.html

5. You could always use awk or successive calls to sed, but that would
be painful and slow. Anyway, if you're a bash fan who likes write-only
code and have time to spare, this could be for you!

- FZero