REXX equivalent in (Ubuntu) Linux?

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat May 22 01:03:22 UTC 2010

On Fri, 21 May 2010 10:17:03 -0400
Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I want to do a big rename of files on my Linux system.
>
> I have ripped a large number of CD's, and the filenames start with the
> track number. But they go 1,2,3 ...10,11,12
>
> When my PS3 accesses my (Linux) media server, it sees these as
> 10,11,12,1,2....
>
> So to get the right order I want to change the files to 01,02,03...
>

> The files are in directories:
>
> /home/stephen/music/*artist*/*album*/filenames
>
> What should I look at?
>
> BASH???

Stephen,

   The computing language for any task is the one you already know.

   If this were my problem, the solution would be written in Perl.  Perl has all sorts of cool text processing commands.  There is no problem capturing directories.  Redirecting `ls -ld` gives you a list, for starters.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org