Tools for processing "template"?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri May 21 23:24:59 UTC 2010

On 05/21/2010 06:13 PM, William Park wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This seems to be recurring task.  What tools to you use to process
> "template"?
>
> That is, you have a template file (say, a text file) with bunch of
> placeholders, and you need to replace those placeholders with actual
> data (say, generated by script, extracted from other files, calculated
> by formula, etc).

Django page templates and Cheetah templates are both quite easy to use.

> The reason why I'm asking is that getting the "actual data" to insert is
> not that easy to do in PHP, Perl, or Python, even if I were to write
> C-extensions to those languages.  This could be for many reasons, ie.
> development time, maintenance/support issue, hardware/system constraint,
> 3rd-party application quirks, etc.

I don't understand what you mean. The data to fill in the templates
could come from anything, a socket, a text file, spreadsheet, database.
All of those things can be handled by various programming languages.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis