REXX equivalent in (Ubuntu) Linux?

Fri May 21 20:43:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 05:59:39PM +0000, Peter wrote:
>Fabio FZero <fabio.fzero at ...> writes:
>> I have to say this: os.path.walk saved my life a couple of times when I worked
>> with mobile content.
>
>Usually anything written in Python in 100LOC can be written in Bash in 3 lines.
>Apart from that man ftw(3) lets you do it even in C.
>Py is a great scripting language but it excels at large projects (such as
>Blender), not at nitty-gritty shell work.

I agree, but I find that when I write a bit of Python I end up with a
tool I may adapt and reuse, but when I do stuff in bash I don't remember
it as well, and can't reuse it across platforms.  The saving grace for
me with Python is that I can take the same tools to Windows or OS X
machines and they still work - more LOC, but more portable too.

I'm sure you could replace me with a very small shell script, but at
work and at home I appear to be a miracle-worker with prophet-like
powers.

I don't do things like the problem posted often enough to remember the
relevant bash-isms, but I do use Python a whole bunch for other things,
and the skills map.
--

yours,

William