OT experiences with tigerdirect

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 18 17:00:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Fabio FZero <fabio.fzero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:04, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> (...) What I find with
>> TigerDirect is their prices are higher than the usual College/Spadina
>> suspects (...)
>
> Care to elaborate for us newcomers? :-) I really want to know where to buy
> good'n'cheap hardware on physical stores around Toronto!

Sure. There is a cluster of computer shops around the intersection of
College St. and Spadina Ave.. Most of the shops are on College between
Spadina and Bathurst, but there are a few just north, just south and
just east of College and Spadina. The shops are within 1 block north,
1 block south, 1 block east and 4 blocks west of College and Spadina.

When I am shopping for commodity PC hardware, like memory, low end
cases, most motherboards or CPU chips, I'll take a walk around to the
various shops near College and Spadina... Comparing prices is easy.
For commodity hardware I know I will end up with a better deal than
Tiger Direct. On the other hand for some home theater hardware, like
high end PC cases or TV tuner cards, things seem to boil down to Tiger
Direct (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/) or Canada Computers
(http://www.canadacomputers.com). It is worth noting that Canada
Computers has put one of their retail stores at 366 College St, 4
blocks west of College and Spadina (when I am walking around College &
Spadina, the Canada Computers shop is the western most that I will
visit). For for a step above commodity PC hardware I will look at
Tiger Direct, and Canada Computers, which I end up going with will
depend on the item...

Colin