Booting order / SATA onboard / IDE card

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 17 20:44:32 UTC 2010

On 05/17/2010 04:22 PM, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> Yes. I seemed to have been spreading misinformation. I had been led to
> believe that part of the UUID incorporated a hard-identifier/serial
> for a given disk, but if that is not the case then it doesn't seem
> much more useful than LABEL.
>

> That being said, do drive incorporate some sort of hard serial that
> can be read (and how to do so)?

Take a look at /dev/disk/by-id/ for a semi-human readable name that you
can use in . Not sure how persistent those are though, since I think
udev generates the names.

smartctl -i /dev/sdX where X is your drive will show vendor specific
information about a drive like it's firmware, serial, model etc.

Jamon