best way to share user data in a computer centre?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 17 15:53:04 UTC 2010

On 05/17/2010 11:10 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:45:58AM -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote:
>> On 05/15/2010 09:07 AM, Mike Kallies wrote:
>>> Note that because NFS uses UID and GID, you'll need to ensure
>>> consistency of those values in the /etc/passwd files among the machines.
>>
>> Sounds like NIS is the perfect candidate since that's what it is
>> designed for :) Also, since the machines on the network are largely
>> isolated from the outside by way of NAT, securing the directory
>> shouldn't be much work at all.
>
> NIS is also compeltely awful.
>
> LDAP is much more robust, but also much harder to setup.  NIS is just
> not worth it though.  I would rather setup cron jobs to rsync password
> files around than deal with NIS ever again (which was in fact what I
> did the last time I had to deal with NIS problems).
>
> LDAP is the modern and supported way to do it.  NIS is just a bad joke
> on the part of SUN (to go along with portmap and NFS).  They are all
> awful.  Unfortunately we don't seem to have any good replacements for
> NFS yet, but we certainly have better choices than NIS.

For what Matt has described, NFS+NIS is simple, and will work. I agree
that LDAP would be better, but it doesn't sound like there's much time
to spend setting things up.

Also, NFS works for pushing directories and data around on a home
network, and on commercially supported 10GbE NAS units from major
vendors. What's the issue with it?

Jamon